Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Pickled Turnips or Kabees El Lift For Dad....Delish!

All you need to make pickled turnips full of flavor!
The humble turnip root, it's low in fat and high in vitamin C. Turnip greens are a wonderful source of vitamin A, C, K, Calcium and folate and yet this lowly root is often overlooked.  I bought 2 pounds of turnips at our local farmer's market because I had a hankering (yes, I said hankering) for pickled turnips otherwise known as lift.  My Tayta (grandmother) taught my mom to make these simple pickled turnips and I have fond memories of seeing those glass jars filled with those beautiful purple, beet-stained turnips lined up on the shelves of our refrigerator.  They are zippy, crunchy and full of zesty flavor and they work wonderfully in salads, alongside sandwiches, with hummus or a babaganouj plate, or eaten just out of the jar!

Gather your ingredients:

  • 2 pounds of turnips, peeled, tips and tails removed
  • 1/2 pound of beets, peeled, tips and tails removed
  • 6 cloves of garlic, diced or sliced
  • 1 1/2 cups of cold water
  • 1 1/2 cups of white or apple cider vinegar (I used white)
  • 8 teaspoons of sea salt 
  • a few celery leaves (optional, I used)
  • a hot pepper (optional, I did not use)
  • 2 quart sized glass jars (you can also use spaghetti, jelly or any type of used glass jars)
Isn't that beautiful!
Cut up your turnips and beets into wedges, slices or "french fried" like in the picture above. Add the garlic and the celery or pepper if using.  I give it a good toss in a bowl with my hands. Just a quick note here, the beets will stain your hands, your clothes and your dish towels.  Pack tightly into your clean glass jars and set aside.

Almost done!
Now mix your vinegar and water; add your salt and stir with a whisk until dissolved. Pour this mixture over your lovely veggies using a funnel, and place the lids on the jars. 


Gently shake your jars to get the "color" flowing and store them in the refrigerator for about 1 week. You may give the jars a little "shake" every couple of days. Then they will be ready to enjoy, be careful because you can't eat just one!

Pretty aren't they!  Now if  I can just wait 7 days!
These will last a few weeks in the refrigerator or you can use a water bath canner for 15 minutes for longer storage.

Blessings,
Michelle







No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated and will usually post in 24 hours or less. I will not post SPAM or comments with bad language. Thank you for understanding!