Saturday, January 19, 2013

Batter Fried Bacon. Yes, Please!

Batter Fried Bacon? Yes, Please!
Batter fried bacon, or as some in Texas call it, chicken fried bacon. I certainly won't win any health awards for this recipe but sometimes you just have to throw caution to the wind and live it up. I mean, who hasn't dreamt of taking grease, I mean bacon, double coating it in fat, frying it in grease and serving it with a side of grease? Sounds great, right? Well let me tell you, it is.

Truly, this batter fried bacon recipe wasn't exactly high on my list of things I just had to make but my dear husband wanted some and pestered me everyday for a week before I finally caved, and I must admit, I'm really glad I did.

Bacon is good. Really, really good and in fact it has become somewhat of an iconic food. People eat bacon with almost everything these days, not to mention bacon flavored everything from gum to coffee. Heck, they even have bacon scented deodorant and no, I have not tried it.

Now, I certainly can't say I am a true bacon aficionado and I wouldn't recommend that you add this to your normal breakfast routine, but you really should try it for yourself at least once.

You will need:


FRIED BACON

1 pound of thick sliced bacon, cut in half (I only used half a pound for my family of 5)
1 egg
1/2 cup of milk (or if you're really a risk taker, half and half or cream)
1/2 cup of flour
spices (optional) like salt and pepper, garlic, or whatever floats your boat
oil (for frying)

CREAM GRAVY

3 TBSP drippings or butter
3 TBSP flour
2 cups of milk
2 TBSP heavy whipping cream
Salt and pepper, heavy on the pepper

DIRECTIONS:

1. Heat oil in a heavy frying pan on medium high heat. *HINT: If you use stainless steel (which I recommend) you should heat the pan before you add the oil, this way it becomes nonstick.

TIP OF THE DAY: A nonstick pan shouldn't be used over too high a heat because it ruins the nonstick coating, as does spraying it with PAM, use olive oil instead and "stick" to medium or lower heat settings.

2. Whisk the egg and milk together in a bowl. Really beat that egg...have any stress you need to release? Now's the time! :)

3. Place four in another bowl - season if you'd like (salt and pepper, garlic, paprika, cajun, etc.).



Dredge bacon in egg then flour. Repeat.
4. Double dip the bacon - first in the egg mixture and then in the flour mixture. Repeat.

Bacon can be beautiful!
5. Fry in the oil, turning when the bacon is a nice golden brown color.


6. Drain the bacon on paper towels. Easy peasie.

7. Serve the bacon with cream gravy. Directions below. Also goes well with ice cream... :)

TO MAKE GRAVY

Put drippings or butter in a sauce pan over medium high heat. Whisk in the flour until well blended. Cook over medium heat about 2 minutes or until bubbly. Remove from heat and gradually add in milk, whisking constantly. Return to heat and whisk until the gravy thickens. Whisk in the cream (I actually used half and half), salt and pepper. Serve & Enjoy!

I served my Batter Fried Bacon with pancakes and strawberries, eggs and a warm cuppa joe. Delish!

Blessings,
Michelle

5 comments:

  1. I have to say that it looks soooo good, so much better than it sounded! Yum, I will have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It really was good...and easy, just the way I like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gonna try this today keep u posted on result.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, decadent & so satisfying. I modified the batter with the addition of cajun seasoning. Also used smoked bacon steaks 1/2" thick. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Your modifications sound delicious!

      Delete

All comments are moderated and will usually post in 24 hours or less. I will not post SPAM or comments with bad language. Thank you for understanding!